Wednesday, January 21, 2015

New Opportunities!

When I was a kid, my parents made me take piano lessons.  Personally, I never really enjoyed those lessons.  In fact, I hated them... with a passion.  I dreaded the 30 minutes I had to practice every day.  I remember my parents telling me music was very important, and they told me practicing would be incredibly valuable.  However, I didn’t buy it.  I heard what they were saying, but I had made up my mind – I did not want to do it!    

A picture of me as a kid when asked to practice piano...
Today, it’s funny… I totally recognize that my parents were right.  I love music, and I wish I would have taken more time to learn.  Looking back, I’m not even sure why I was so resistant.  I just made up my mind that I didn’t want to be there.  I wonder… how often are we just stubborn for the sake of being stubborn? (For me, it’s a lot!) I think there are times in life when we say “no” without even thinking about it.  Perhaps, someone just offered us a great new opportunity to utilize our gifts, but it sounded like a little extra work.  It’s always easier to make excuses, instead of trying something new.

In our scripture text for this week, Jesus asks us to take on new opportunities in mission.  Christ proclaims that we each have gifts, and now, He wants us to go!  Jesus promises that seizing opportunities, we will lead to new life.  As I reflect on my life, I know this is true.  In the moments that I faced my fears, I grew immensely.  It just took an attitude adjustment.  Instead of seeing one more problem, I can believe I was made to do incredible things! 

So, the only question that remains is:  “What is God calling you to do today?”

Blessings!


PB

No comments:

Post a Comment