Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Relationships!

It’s March, and that means we are already preparing for summer!  One of my favorite summer events is our annual mission trip to Los Angeles.  This trip is incredibly powerful, and our youth have done an outstanding job serving there.  However, I have to admit, the Los Angeles Mission trip is really challenging for me.  I prefer staying active building houses or cleaning up after natural disasters. The Los Angeles trip is different.  Most of the trip is based on relationships.  We spend hours sitting with people who are homeless.  We wash their feet.  We talk to them.  We listen… We learn about their joys, fears, and sorrows.  On other trips, if I am approached by someone who is really annoying or smelly, I can choose to work in another area, and I meet other people.  However, the LA trips force me to take a deep look at myself and my own biases.  I have learned a lot simply by forming these relationships.

Skid Row... It can be uncomfortable, but it is a
 powerful place to build relationships.
Today, our Scripture passage tells us how deeply Christ cared about each of us.  He didn’t just work where he was comfortable.  He reached out to everybody.  It is my prayer that we could all learn from His example.  I hope we can all remember that Christ came to this earth for each of us… We are loved just as we are!

Blessings!


PB

No comments:

Post a Comment