Thursday, August 6, 2020

Patience and God's Blessings

Do you have the Spiritual Gift of Patience? 

I have heard it said that a person should never pray for patience, because God will give you the opportunity to use it.  :)

The truth is, whether we pray for patience or not, we all need it in our lives. We spend a lot of time waiting, and this can either drive us crazy or it can open us to God’s work. I hate waiting, and I really don’t know anyone who likes just standing around. However, there is a Bible verse that I would like to share that comes from the book of James:

 

See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop, patiently waiting for the early and late rains. You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord’s coming is near. Don’t grumble against one another…

-James 5:7-9

  

In this analogy, the farmer knows he or she can’t rush things… We have some amazing technology in agriculture today, but there is still a need for faith. The farmer can plant, tend, and harvest the crops, but there has always been a certain element they cannot control. A crop will not grow overnight, and we cannot force the weather to obey us.

Today we have a ton of technology and power at our disposal. However, we still cannot force a virus to obey us. We cannot make other people obey us. We still need to live by faith each and every day. I think we really have to ask ourselves if we want to spend our time worrying about all the things we cannot control.

Personally, I also love how these verses from the book of James tell us not to grumble against one another. Waiting can easily turn into grumbling, frustration, and resentment toward others.

Today I hope we can take a little time to be present in the moment that we are in. Sure, there are lots of wonderful things to look forward to. I am excited to gather with others in person. I can’t wait for my kids to reach their next milestones as they grow up. (I really look forward to the day when I won’t have to wake up in the middle of the night!) However, the Bible tells us that each day is a blessing. Let’s not wish this day and the blessings we have right now away. Let’s live each day by faith trusting that God walks alongside us in our journey.


Blessings!

 

Pastor Brian

25 Bible Verses about Patience - DailyVerses.net


No comments:

Post a Comment