Thursday, June 10, 2021

Let Go and Let God...

Is there something you need to let go of?

 

I love to have control.  That doesn’t mean I love controlling other people, but I really like to be prepared.  I want to know what I am getting myself into, and I want to feel like there is no situation that I can’t handle.  However, there are times I need to let go of this need for control.

 

Last week my family and I went on a vacation to visit my wife’s parents in Colorado.  We were really looking forward to this trip, because it was our first vacation since the virus locked everything down.  We prepared as much as possible, but there was also a lot I couldn’t control.  When my wife and I first started traveling with our boys, we would get so frustrated by the smallest things.  They wouldn't take their naps.  They complained too much.  They spilled their snacks everywhere.  Granted, all of this stuff can be frustrating, but I needed to slow down, develop patience, and open my heart to new possibilities.  

 

Amazingly, when I let go of what I thought the road trip should be, the kids behaved incredibly well.  I had to let go of some of my expectations, but most of those were not very realistic anyway.  We took advantage of many more scenic viewpoints and state parks that I may have otherwise just cruised past to get where I thought we needed to be.  The boys were incredibly blessed to get some time with Grandma and Grandpa, and we cherished the time way more than if I had forced it to happen on my timeline.

 

Letting go is never easy, but God is always offering us another opportunity to experience the grace around us.  We are in a sermon series at CLC that is taking a look at Living Generously.  A generous life is a life that is open to something beyond ourselves.  This week I hope we can all take a bit of time to cherish the grace we have and freely share it with others.  

 

Blessings,

 

Brian







1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures. What a wonderful time with family. Enjoying God's great outdoors.

    ReplyDelete