Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Reformation and New Life

Earlier this week, I was at Home Depot picking up a few supplies.  While I was there, I wound up discussing an outdoor irrigation project with one of the people on staff.  She helped me find the part I needed, and that could have been the end of our interaction.  However, we got to talking about our families.  My wife and I just started fostering a little girl, and this employee had fostered kids in California for years.  She shared a tragic story of some of the very serious difficulties that her kids faced, but she also spoke of the life changing power of love.  We wound up spending a fair amount of time listening to each other and acknowledging each other’s story.  I realized I had walked into that store a little overwhelmed, but I walked away feeling refreshed and inspired.  I love hearing of the power we all have to change lives. 

This Sunday we will be celebrating the 500th anniversary of the Reformation.  This is a day to remember the people who stood up to corruption and greed within the church.   However, this day should be more than just a history lesson.  Our God is constantly working to bring renewal, hope, and reformation every day.  Whenever a person is freed from abuse, hatred, or violence, I believe God’s Sprit is active.  Whenever someone realizes new life is available, God’s Spirit is there.  I hope we never discount the change that God’s Grace can bring.

Blessings!


PB

No comments:

Post a Comment