Thursday, August 2, 2018

Believing in your calling...

Looking like a pastor... :)

In the Lutheran church, there is a tradition of pastors wearing clerical collars and shirts.  In my current setting we don’t wear these all that often, and I am certainly okay with that.  I often find this uniform to be way too formal, and when I first became a pastor I really didn’t want to wear it at all.  However, over time I noticed the clerical uniform could open a few new opportunities for ministry.  People would walk up to me on the street and ask me to pray.  I was invited into several hospital rooms to sit with families I didn’t know.  These people were looking for a pastor.  In these moments, the uniform told people I was ready to serve, and that helped me to grow as a pastor.  I think there was a part of me that didn’t want to take myself seriously.  I didn’t believe I had any real gifts worthy of such a formal outfit.  However, when I was drawn into those moments, I realized God was doing something.  God was using me.  In the book of Ephesians it says:

For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
-Ephesians 2:10

We may convince ourselves that we have nothing to offer, but this verse asks us to have faith that God uses us in any situation.  This verse says ALL people, not just pastors, are called to do amazing things… Now, it does not say that we have the power to bring the exact kind of change that we may be searching for, but we do have the promise that God is working in powerful ways…

Today, I hope you can all recognize what God is doing in your life.  I hope that you can believe God is calling you to act and live in the world around you!

Peace and Blessings!

Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment