Thursday, February 20, 2020

Transfiguration!


Do you believe in Transfiguration?

Transfiguration is a pretty big word…  I saw it defined recently as:  a complete change of form or appearance into a more beautiful or spiritual state.  I bring this up, because we are celebrating Transfiguration Sunday this week in church.  This day acknowledges an ancient story from the Bible where Jesus was transfigured before three of his disciples on a mountaintop. 

When Jesus was transfigured, the Bible says his face shone like the sun and his clothes became a dazzling white.  This is the moment when Jesus became determined to go to Jerusalem and confront the cross as well.  Personally, I find the transfiguration to be very mysterious, but I also find a lot of meaning in it.  I find meaning in the mountains.  I find meaning in opening my heart to the mysteries of God in the world around me.

Last week, my wife and I took our kids exploring in the Pittman wash.  The boys loved scrambling over the rocks, watching the minnows in the stream, and crawling under thorn covered bushes.  Overall the wash is fairly tame, but it offers something wonderful.  I believe nature has an ability to change hearts in a way that would not be possible if we never challenged ourselves.

Perhaps the reason Jesus brought his disciples up that mountain so long ago was to experience the world in a new way.  Their faith was given a new perspective, and their lives were all affected.  Today, I hope we can all find time to see God in a new light.  I hope we can all acknowledge that God is bigger than our understanding, but God’s grace is always working to lead us into the wonder of these mysteries!

Blessings!


Brian  

1 comment:

  1. Pastor Brian, I too enjoy the Pittman Wash and walk parts of it every week. It is amazing how diverse nature can be around the world and all part of creation. Many times my WOW at night is the beautiful areas of Red Rock, Pittman Wash, and so many other beautiful hikes in this valley we all call home.

    ReplyDelete