Thursday, December 17, 2020

The Candle of Love

1 Corinthians 13

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing…



This week we will light the fourth candle on the Advent wreath:  the candle of love.  People talk about love all the time.  It fills Bible verses, songs, movies, and almost anything else you can think of.  Sometimes it can seem almost too cliche to talk about.  Even amazing passages from the Bible can start to lose their power.  There are just too many examples of broken relationships, and families and friendships that have lost hope of any kind of reconciliation.  Love seems like a wonderful word, but what power does it really have?


There are moments in my house when the kids are refusing to brush their teeth, put their clothes on, or sit down in their car seats.  I can get pretty exasperated trying to get them to do anything, but they are perfectly happy right where they are.  Perhaps one day they will start to learn how to listen and prepare for the day better.  However, I may be able to learn from them too.  They can appreciate the love and joy right where they are at.  They don’t need too much at all… They can just enjoy the simple things.


Sometimes the greatest gifts that love can share are in the still small moments of life. We do not have to spend our lives chasing after something God has already shared.  The Bible teaches us that love surrounds us right here and right now.  My prayer for all of us is to embrace all the gifts we have.  May we receive the love God has for us with open hearts, and cherish each moment we are in!


Blessings!



Pastor Brian


No comments:

Post a Comment