Thursday, June 24, 2021

Taking time for our neighbor

“And who is my neighbor?”

-Luke 10:29


A scribe asked Jesus this question over 2000 years ago, and people are still struggling to answer it today.  The vast majority of us only want to think of ourselves and those close to us. However, this kind of close mindedness can lead to to demonizing the stranger if we are not careful.   


A few days ago, my wife had a conversation with a friend of hers who sees the world very different politically.  Their conversation wasn’t heated.  Her friend just asked about some of her views.  This friend was not trying to pick a fight or stir up trouble, he was simply curious.  When I thought about this, it almost shocked me.  When people ask about politics or religion, they usually want a fight.  It’s almost unheard of to find another person who simply wants to listen, learn, and grow.  



Throughout the scriptures, Jesus continually takes time for others.  He listened to the needs of individuals who were labeled unclean.  He patiently heard the questions and concerns of Nicodemus the Pharisee.  It didn’t matter if a person was a wealthy tax collector or a poor fisherman, Jesus had time to deeply care for all.  



Today I hope we can pause for a minute and consider the people who we have been ignoring.  Is there someone who annoys or frustrates you?  I know there are people who I can easily and subconsciously judge prematurely.  I can get caught up in the busy nature of the world, and I can lose sight of what really matters.  I hope we can take a breath right now, in this moment, and stop the judgement.  Christ valued everybody.  Christ values you.  Let’s take a little extra time and embrace the blessings we find in our neighbor.  


Blessings!



Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment