Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Humility

So, about a week ago I had the absolute pleasure of spending an afternoon trying to fix a leaky toilet. Isn’t that how everyone wants to spend their free time?  :)  The fix itself should have been pretty easy.  I just needed to replace a couple bolts and a gasket. Simple! Issues arose however when I realized water had gotten into the carpeting.  After I spent a significant amount of time drying everything out, I discovered I bought the wrong kind of gasket, so I had to run back to the store.  Finally, I got everything back together only to realize the tank was still leaking… I had to start all over again! 
This was exercise in humility.  It should have been simple, but things got complicated. (It’s probably more accurate to say I made things complicated…)  Today, our scripture passage tells us of the value of humility.  This can be a difficult lesson.  Personally, I find it very hard to admit my own failures or weaknesses.  It’s much easier to brag about my strengths.  However, we are not a church of perfect people.  We are a church that embraces imperfect people just as they are.  That is the true power of our community! 
Blessings,

Pastor Brian 

No comments:

Post a Comment