Thursday, January 25, 2018

Facing the Fire...

Do you remember what it is like to show up at a new job for the first time?  There is usually some confusion, waiting, and a lot of mistakes.  Personally, I’ve had a few jobs that started me off slowly and cautiously, and there have been other jobs where I was thrown straight into the fire.

Our scripture passage this week tells the story of Jesus’ first public appearance as a rabbi.  It is a moment of being thrown in the fire! When Jesus entered his local synagogue, he was confronted by a man that the Bible says was possessed by a demon.   From his very first day, Jesus was confronted by evil, and he had to find a way forward.

Out of all the jobs I’ve had, I will say that I have learned the most by the ones that threw me into the fire.  I learned what I was capable of and what I wasn’t.  I’ve learned how to succeed and how to fail.  Both of which were important.  I think we all face moments of testing in our lives, and we have to be able to acknowledge our weaknesses.  We will face troubles in this world, and we can’t back away from the fire forever.  Today I hope we can all take one step to stand up for God even when the world pushes back. 

Blessings!


PB

No comments:

Post a Comment