Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Judgement or Blessing

How often do you judge people?  As a pastor, I feel like it is my responsibility to stand against any kind of racism or discrimination.  Unfortunately, I know there are times when my unconscious biases get the best of me. 

A few months ago, a woman came to visit me in the office.  She was wearing worn out clothes, and I assumed she was living on the streets.  As she was coming in, I was on my way out.  I had a few errands that I needed run, and I wanted to get home to my family.  Nevertheless, I decided to stop and talk to her.  I thought it was important to listen to her, but I admit that I also judged her.  She resembled too many other people who only wanted money, and I assumed I would not be able to help her.  However, this particular woman was simply looking for prayer.  She had real concerns for the people in her life, and she was looking for the church to support her in prayer.  After we prayed and I went on my way, I was taken aback by how powerful that moment had been.  This woman had been thoughtful, compassionate, and caring, and I was saddened by my own lack of faith in her. 
 
Today I wonder what conscious or unconscious judgments we are making.  Jesus calls us to live each day by faith.  We are called to trust in who God is, but we are also called to believe in all of God’s people.  The Bible tells us each person is called.  Will we choose to believe in this promise?  Or, will we believe we already have the world figured out?

Let’s believe God is here… in the midst of each person we meet!

Blessings!


Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment