Thursday, September 21, 2017

The spirit that dwells in you...

Today I invite you to ask what kind of spirit lives inside of you.  Do you have a restless spirit?  Do you have a spirit of contentment, thankfulness, or anger…?  What lives inside of you?  Today our scripture passage contains a very powerful verse:

“God yearns jealously for the spirit that he has made to dwell in us”
-James 4:5

People have speculated over the meaning of this verse for centuries.  However, it seems to say that God has made us who we are.  Whether we are restless, energetic, content, or overbearing… God gave us our spirit, and it is something we can embrace.  We are all different for a reason, and we don’t have to change that.  However, if we want to find fulfillment, we are going to have to offer our spirit back to God.  This is the only way we can truly embrace our gifts and who we truly are. 

I remember being in college and knowing I had gifts.  However as I reflect back on those times, I realize that I was using my gifts for selfish purposes.  I wanted them to make me successful.  This all changed one summer when I worked at a Lutheran camp in Colorado.  This job was one of the most exhausting things I had ever done.  I was waking up early, going to bed late, and helping kids work though all kinds of issues.  Each day brought new challenges, but it also allowed me to grow in ways I never thought possible.  Looking back, I realize that there was so much more fulfillment in offering my spirit to God than anywhere else.  Today, I hope you believe you have a spirit inside you, and I hope you can excel to new levels by giving that spirit back to God…

Blessings!


PB 

No comments:

Post a Comment