Thursday, December 7, 2017

The waiting of Advent

When I was a child, my family had this Advent and Christmas calendar.  Every day through the month of December we could open a window and look at a scripture passage for the day.  We also took time each week to lite candles on our Advent wreath.  As a child, I loved these traditions!  They were pretty simple, but they meant so much to me. 

Today I feel like the months fly by so much faster than they used to.  It used to feel like Christmas would never arrive.  Today, I feel like I’m lucky if the Christmas tree goes up before the 25th.  There is just so much going on.  However, I hope we can all take a breath today.  Advent is a season of preparing our hearts.  The Bible promises that God is coming to this world, not just 2000 year ago, but every day of our lives.  If we don’t take time to prepare ourselves, we may be too busy to notice the smile of a friend, the help of a stranger, or of a humble baby being born…  Today, I hope we can each take a little time to notice God’s presence.  I hope we can start up an old tradition that we may have lost sight of.  I hope we can believe that God is always breaking into this world to show us Love!

Blessings!


PB   

No comments:

Post a Comment