Thursday, January 31, 2019

Searching for Strength

Not having any fun...

As I was looking at my calendar last Sunday, I thought this week was going to be fairly normal.  I had completed most of the planning for a few of the bigger events coming up, and my schedule looked fairly open.  However, by Tuesday I could tell it was going to be another busy week. J Normally, that wouldn’t be a problem...  In fact, it would be a surprise if things didn’t come up.  The real problem arose when my 5 month old baby came down with a virus.  It’s always miserable watching a child fight an illness, but I kept hoping things would get better.  Eventually, we took him to the urgent care, then back to his doctor, then nebulizer treatments, then steroids, and then who knows what else.  I hate being in a place where I am unable to fix anything.  It seems like no matter what we try, we still have a very unhappy baby! 

In the midst of all of this, I was reminded of the words of the Apostle Paul in Philippians: 

I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.

Some days we feel blessed.  Other days we let fear, imperfection, and failure win.  However, the Bible tells us not to get lost in these feelings.  The Love of Christ will always be with us.  Are we remembering to share what truly matters?  Are we remembering to listen to God’s Love? 
  
Personally, I love having control.  I love to fix problems as they arise, and I love to feel like I have made a difference.  However, there are moments in life when we don’t have control.  Our health falls apart, money slips away, and babies get sick… We don’t get to control these things.  Instead the Bible tells us to believe that Christ is with us.  We are told to have faith that God is working, even if life isn’t... 

Today, I know that I don’t have control, but I do believe God is working.  I may be imperfect, but I can still love... and I can still hold that sick baby.  In many ways, there is nothing greater we can offer than love!

Blessings!


Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment