Wednesday, February 6, 2019

A new heart


Every week I wind up going on several walks with my three year old son.  We never go too far, but it always takes quite a bit longer than I expect.  He has to stop to explore everything…  “Look at this bug!”  “Look at that house!”  “Why is there a picture of cat on that poster?”  “What is that person doing?”
Taking time to enjoy the moment...

Everything is new to this child, and I constantly have to remind myself of that.  Sometimes I just want to say, “No more questions… we have to get home!”  However, he is taking it all in.  He wants to talk to the bugs, splash in the puddles, and give high fives to the neighbors. I am always focused on where we going and when we will be back.  I think it really is a blessing to see the world in a different way. 

Today our scripture passage comes from the book of Ezekiel chapter 36:

I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.


I love opening myself to a heart that loves stomping in the mud.  However, there are times my heart of stone gets in the way of forgiveness, grace, or love for others.  This is really what our scripture passage is speaking about.  As humans, we can become locked in cycles of anger, revenge, or hopelessness.  This scripture tells us to open ourselves to the bigger picture.  God is at work in the world, and God is at work in you.  However, we have to let God break our hearts of stone.  We have to take the time to discover what love is doing.  We have to take the time to really embrace all the blessings that exist around us.

Peace!

Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment