Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Holy Week

Do you consider these days holy?

Where are you searching for the resurrection?

Where do you see God today?

In the church, we believe it is important to remember the difficult path that Jesus took to the cross. When I was younger, I did not really like all the somber Holy Week services. I wanted to play outside with my friends and enjoy the first days of Spring. Instead, I would go to church and sing countless verses of the hymn:  "Jesus in Thy Dying Woes." I knew these services were important, but I really wanted to be somewhere else...

There are moments in life that we all want to skip. No one wants to dwell in the moments of defeat and failure, but the Scriptures tell us to remember these times. It is not healthy to pretend that life is perfect. It is not safe to say that we do not need grace. Jesus took time to pause with his disciples and sit in the difficult moments. Jesus stayed with them in their fears and doubts, and he taught them how to love. 

Over the past few weeks there have been several members of our church who have faced illness and tragedy. Plans made with joy just months earlier, have fallen apart. As a church, it is impossible to pretend these difficulties did not exist. We need to stay beside each other. We may feel more questions then answers, but we also trust that God is with us. I know that the moments I have spent with people in these times are incredibly holy, and I would not want to be anywhere else.

Although we may not always want to dwell in the moments of despair, Jesus showed us compassion. I think these worship services during Holy Week are incredibly important, and they are a reminder for us to share Christ's Love. I am reminded of how important and even sacred it is to sit with people in the midst of their suffering. I don't think any of us are able to show a perfect love, but together we can offer hope. 


Today I pray you can all take the time needed to have compassion for the people near you. There are going to be people you meet who need to hear of Christ's Love. There are people who need to know they are not alone. I hope our church can offer a bit of hope in a world filled with pain. We are not always called to provide the answers. We can simply offer a love in the midst of all the questions. The resurrection is coming, but let's take time to share God's Love along the way.

Shalom,

Pastor Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment