Thursday, February 22, 2024

Finding our way

Earlier this week, I went for a hike in Red Rock. I typically don't go hiking by myself, but I had a free morning, and I made the last minute decision to go exploring. Since I did not have my kids with me, I tried a route that took a little more effort. I started at the First Creek trail and went boulder hopping up the canyon. 

A few years ago, I would not have considered this a super tricky hike. You can't really get lost, and I had seen in the area before. However, I quickly realized I couldn't take anything for granted. There is no trail, and hikers have to decide which rocks to climb over and how to get around different obstacles. When I was not being careful, I found myself at steep drop offs or climbing dangerously over wet and slimy rock. I constantly had to be on the lookout for little signs that would help me to decide which way to go. There was a route through the canyon, but I needed to pay attention. If I lost my focus, there could be serious consequences. 

In our sermon series at church, we are looking at the gifts that Jesus brings. This week we are going focus on the fact that Jesus brings us direction. There are times in life that we choose to go the wrong way. We wind up with our backs to the wall, and it can feel like we have made such a mess that there is no way out. Jesus comes to tell us that we are never too far gone. We can always find our way back. We simply have to let go of our plans and trust that God is doing something bigger. We also have to look for the signs. God is making a way.

After a couple hours of hiking, I looked back at my progress. A few years ago, I would not have wanted to turn around without reaching a peak. However, on this day I realized that I didn't have to get to the top. I had fun enjoying the day, and it was important for me to get back to see my family. I also learned that I missed sharing these moments with my kids. They bring a lot of frustration, anger, and tears, but it is nice to be able to share the moment together. All in all, it was a good day, but I let go of my plans. I enjoyed the time, and I returned to the things that mattered most. 

Today I hope you spend a little time listening for God. I hope you look to God for direction and open your heart to the path God may be showing you!

Open photo

Open photo

Open photo


Open photo
The guys who matter most! :)



Blessings!

Brian Ward

No comments:

Post a Comment