Wednesday, August 28, 2024

A welcoming place

What are your feelings of church? 

Is a a place of comfort and vulnerability, or is it a place of rejection and judgment?  

I can't tell you how many people I talk to who just can't bring themselves to church. "You don't want people like me there..." "I wouldn't fit in." "The place will get struck by lightning!" For so many of these individuals, church is a place of judgment. They see a group of people who want to look down on others or pretend that they are somehow better. It's amazing how this mentality crept into our world, because it is so different from the church that Jesus offered.


Jesus came to our world and welcomed everyone. He made fisherman, tax collectors, and religious leaders all feel like they belonged. The church was a place for everyone. More than that, each of these people had gifts that Jesus cared about. He wanted to send his followers into the world and share God's blessings. He believed we all have gifts to offer.

Personally, I am thankful the church has always welcomed me. Even when I was a child, I remember people greeting me with a smile, offering me a job, and encouraging me when I needed support. I think we all need places like this. I can't imagine raising my kids in a world where they couldn't be vulnerable. Sure, there are moments when we pretend we are something that we are not... but this isn't healthy. It's certainly not good to live our lives this way. 

When Jesus invited us to have a seat at the table, he wasn't just welcoming the perfect people. He was welcoming us just as we are. Today I hope we can be a church that offers love to all people. I hope we can find ways to share the wonderful gifts that we have. I hope we can all choose to love and welcome the stranger.

Blessings,


Pastor Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment