Wednesday, August 26, 2015

The Power of Words

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me…

Sometimes I like to believe that I am immune to the words of other people, as this saying suggests.  However, looking back at my life, I know the words of others have deeply influenced me.  At times, words have dragged me down.  Other times, words have lifted me up.  Personally, I am grateful to have had so many positive voices in my life, and I actually owe so much of who I am, a running climbing pastoring dad, to the wonderful words of the people who believed in me. 

However, I also know words can hurt, and I know my life has been molded by this too.  When a colleague or coworker tells us we are incapable of a task, it can shut doors.  The judgments of people we’ve just met can destroy us.  When you think about your life, how are others influencing you? 

In the Bible, it is very clear that words are powerful.  In Genesis 1 and 2, God creates everything with His Word.  God gives life to humans with breath.  Words, and the Spirit that is behind them, create.  In the Gospel of Mark chapter 7, Jesus says that our words can bring good or evil.  Our words, and the spirit we share through them, can create good things in this world, or they can tear others down.  Today, I hope we can remember the power we all have.  Whether we realize it or not, we can each change the world.  We have the breath of God inside of us, and we can use it to love, or we can ignore it and pretend our actions don’t matter.  How do you want to live?

Blessings!


PB

No comments:

Post a Comment