Wednesday, January 7, 2015

New Life with God's Grace

Our theme at CLC this month is:  Making all things New!  I love this!  I know I need to try new things to keep learning and growing, and I believe renewal is essential to who we all are.  Last week Kira and I decided to kick off the New Year by visiting some family in Scottsdale, AZ.  We would see new people, explore a different city, and I would get to run to the top of a few different mountains – all of which were new to me.

A few of the beautiful mountains in the area. 
Overall, the trip was a blast!  Of course, the first thing I noticed was the mountains. (They had actually received some snow about 3000 feet, and that’s definitely a new thing for me in the desert!) I was so excited to be out on the snowy trail that I wound up running about 12 miles one day around these deserted peaks. (I was having so much fun I didn't

even care that I kept slamming into all kinds of cholla cactus – which can be pretty nasty!) We also had the best time relaxing and having fun with the people we love.  It was great.  However, on the drive back to Vegas, I started to wonder what made the trip so wonderful.  Sometimes traveling can be stressful, and Kira and I both had a lot of work to get done.  Before we left, I even questioned if the trip would really be worth it.  Would I really see anything new?  Couldn't I just talk to family on the phone?  I certainly don’t need to go to Arizona to find a good run.  What was it that really made the trip life giving?
The teddy bear cholla looks and sounds pretty cuddly,
but it sounds like velcro when you have to rip their spines out
that are stuck in your skin.  :) 
Personally, I think the reason this trip meant so much to me was not the snow or the mountains.  It was the experience love and grace in the midst of it all.  This experience of grace from family and friends brought renewal, and I was reminded of what was really important. 

When you look at your world, do you see stress and uncertainly, or do you hope and adventure?  I think it really all depends on the community that we are surrounded by.  Do we share love and grace so that other people feel encouraged?  Or do we doubt all the gifts that we have been given?  Our communities, families, and churches can encourage us to see the world as an opportunity for new hope and life.  I pray that we may all share that hope with the world!

Blessings!


Pastor Brian  

No comments:

Post a Comment