Thursday, July 25, 2019

Christmas in July!


It is 110 degrees in Las Vegas, and it’s time to get your Christmas sweaters out!   This week we are celebrating Christmas in July at Community Lutheran!  It may seem a bit cheesy… (And it probably is!)  However, it has been fun to dust off some of the Christmas decorations, and I think there may be some real value in considering how this old story affects us today…

Listen to the words of the Angel:

“Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy for all the people…
-Luke 2:10

This familiar line from Luke chapter 2 is forever etched on my heart.  I grew up in the church, and whenever this chapter of the Bible was read I felt a certain amount of joy and anticipation.  Even in the middle of July, just one line can stir something inside of me. 

It is also important to remember that the first Christmas arrived when people least expected it.  The Roman Empire controlled everything.  The people of Israel were oppressed and hope was fading.  The baby, the manager, and the shepherds all represented the bottom rung of society.  Yet that is exactly when hope arrived!

Today you may feel far from the magic of Christmas.  Sometimes we don’t feel like we have received any good news.  Just this week, I heard some very unexpected news of sickness and death.  There are days when it is hard for the Good News to overcome the bad.  However, the Christmas story isn’t just for a season.  It doesn’t last just one day.  It arrives every day, in the good and bad.  Today I hope you can take a little time and look for Christ.  I pray that you would be able to find a little hope in a world that dwells on the hopeless.  May you see that God is with you!

Merry Christmas!


Pastor Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment