Thursday, July 18, 2019

Hospitality and Hope


What does hospitality look like to you?
Can you think a moment when you felt welcomed?
What does it mean to be accepted, loved, and even cherished?

When I was in college, I worked at a Lutheran camp in Colorado for a couple summers.  I did not know anyone else at this camp very well.  I just headed west and hoped my gifts could be utilized.  Trying something new can be a risk, and up and to that point in my life, I had never imagined myself as a leader in ministry… I was just a chemistry major who wanted to go to the mountains and serve. J

I love being welcomed by this guy!!
When I arrived at Rainbow Trail Lutheran Camp, I was embraced by an incredible staff.  There was an environment on site that valued everyone’s gifts and encouraged us to be all that God called us to be.  I met many wonderful people who changed my life forever, and I also learned the power of hospitality.  I was embraced by the warmth of others, and I was part of a staff that offered hospitality week after week to a new group of campers. 

The Bible will often speak of the power of hospitality.  There is something sacred about welcoming another.  Throughout the scriptures we learn welcoming others welcomes God.  In our scripture text this week, two women find their own unique ways to welcome Christ.  I have to admit that going home and being welcomed enthusiastically by a dancing 4 year old and a screaming 11 month old is almost always the best part of my day!  Grace and hospitality are gifts we can all share.  I hope we can take a little time and share these sacred gifts with our world!

Blessings!


Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment