Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Finding God's Wisdom on a Confirmation Retreat

Camp Foxtail - The camp where our confirmation kids went
earlier this month
A couple weeks ago, I went on a confirmation retreat with the 9th grade students from our congregation.  I love teaching this group of kids, but sometimes it can get really difficult.  If I’m teaching something that the group doesn’t think is relevant, if it’s too ethereal, or if I just sound like I’m lecturing, they will simply shut down, and I will wind up talking to myself.  So, to avoid that, I’m constantly wondering if there is any way I make the class a little more real and a little less boring. That’s why I love going on retreat to the Mt. Charleston area.   There’s just something about the mountains that makes us come alive!  There’s no way you can be bored!  
Well, at least that’s my perspective… but many of the kids did tell me how amazing the trip was.  Some of the youth even got up before the sun rose to go for a run with me in the 35 degree mountain air.  We jumped over rocks, climbed a couple thousand feet, and we even had a real snowball fight.  Of course, we also had time at the end of the day to simply sit and worship around the campfire… Amazing!  It was so much fun to see these kids living with such passion!

The fall colors were on full display that week!
The trip was also a chance for some walls to come down.  There were opportunities for the youth to share what was going on in their lives.  They had the chance to talk about some of the difficulties they faced.  Sometimes, I forget how much kids have to go through in this world – it can be pretty tough!  We all need a community that will support us in our times of trial.




This week, in our sermon series, we are talking about wisdom literature in the Bible.  Personally, I don’t believe wisdom is just about the facts we have to memorize… Instead, I think Biblical wisdom is really about finding Hope.  When people built kingdoms, they passed on their hope to the next generation.  When those kingdoms fell, and the people had to live in exile, they still passed on the hope they had found.  Through the good and the bad, God’s people shared words of hope.  That is wisdom!  That is also what we’re trying to pass along in confirmation.  It’s not about memorizing all the facts just for the sake of memorizing them.  We are trying to help one another to believe in God’s love, even the darkest moments.  Biblical wisdom cannot take away the pain we all have to face, but it can help us to realize we are not alone.  We have a God who always stands with His people – through the good and the bad.  That is what Jesus is all about! It is my prayer that we would unashamedly share this hope with the world.

Blessings!


PB

No comments:

Post a Comment