Tuesday, October 28, 2014

All Saint's Day

Recently, I was looking at how full my calendar was.  There are all kinds of youth activities, service projects, Boy Scout programs, and discipleship groups that I am a part of.  I can’t think of the last time my wife actually sat down and ate a nice quiet meal together.  However, I have to admit, we want to live like this.  We like to stay busy.  Sure, life may get a little stressful, but we love going places and trying new things.  I love working at a church, because I have so many wonderful opportunities to stay involved with different groups.  However, I was thinking about a scripture passage recently from Ecclesiastes 3: 
1 For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:
2 a time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;
3 a time to kill, and a time to heal;
3 A time to break down, and a time to build up;
4 a time to weep, and a time to laugh;

a time to mourn, and a time to dance…

Busy, Busy, Busy!
Sometimes there are so many things going on, I simply chose to stay busy with the new and exciting adventures.  I look for the next activity where I can laugh, dance, and build things up!  However, I wonder if I am taking any time to break down, weep, and mourn?  All Saint’s Day is coming up this Sunday.  Growing up, I don’t think I ever realized this day existed.  (I was always too busy eating my leftover candy from Halloween!) However, All Saint’s Day is a day where we take time to remember those who have died.  We can also remember those relationships we have lost or the people and places we’ve had to leave behind for one reason or another.  That’s not something I like to dwell on, but I really do believe it is important.  Sure, I think we all need to stay busy, but we also need time to grieve.  Life changes so fast.  We need time to give thanks for the love that that has been passed on to us.  I think we all need space to grieve too.  We need to have time for closure and time to say goodbye. 

Blessings!  May each of you find peace and comfort this All Saint’s Day.


-Pastor Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment